RESIDENTIAL BACKYARD BURN SEASON HAS ENDED AS OF APRIL 30, 2023!
CAL FIRE HAS CHANGED THE PERMIT ISSUING PROCESS FOR 2023. THIS APPLICATION IS FOR PROPERTIES THAT ARE IN THE SRA (STATE RESPONSIBILITY AREA) ONLY. IF YOUR PROPERTY IS IN THE LRA (LOCAL RESPONSIBILITY AREA), PLEASE VISIT OUR OFFICE OR CONTACT US AT (831) 455-1828, FOR YOUR PERMIT.
To determine if your property is in SRA or LRA, please use this link to Cal Fire's Viewer part of their website:
CONDITIONS (Agriculture Permit only):
- To determine burn day status, please call (800) 225-2876 or check the Monterey Bay Air Resources District website.
- Always use caution when burning, follow all guidelines provided, and maintain control of the fire at all times. Individuals can be held civilly and/or criminally liable for allowing a fire to escape their control and/or burn onto neighboring property.
- Do NOT burn on windy days.
- Burn hours are 8:00am to 4:00pm. No fuels may be added after 3:00pm. All fires must not be emitting any smoke, is cold to the touch and is no longer capable of regeneration.
- Only dry natural vegetation originating on this property may be burned there.
- No person shall use open outdoor fires for the purpose of disposal or burning of: grass clippings, piled leaves/needles, garbage, household rubbish petroleum wastes, demolition or construction debris, tires, tar, trees, wood waste, processed or treated wood and wood products, or other combustible or flammable solid, semi-solid or liquid waste; or for metal salvage or burning of motor vehicle bodies.
- Piles should be no larger than four feet in diameter and four feet in height. You can add to the pile as it burns down. Piled material must be arranged to provide adequate aeration to allow the material to burn with a minimum of smoke. Burn barrels are prohibited.
- The material to be burned must dry, with at least 10 days of drying time before burning:
30 days-trees, branches, and trimmings equal to or less than 2" diameter.
60 days-branches and trimmings greater than 2" but equal to or less than 6" in diameter.
- The material to be burned must be reasonably free of surface moisture and dirt.
- No burning shall take place for 72 hours after any rain totalling 0.25 inches or greater.
- The burn may not cause a nuisance with smoke and ash to neighbors. All fires must be extinguished upon notification of smoke impact.
- Clear a 10-foot diameter perimeter down to bare soil around your piles. A water source and appropriate firefighting tools must be at the burn site. A responsible person must be in attendance until the fire is extinguished. Never leave your fire.
- The burn may not be within 100 feet from any residential or commercial structure on an adjacent property.
- Permit may be revoked or suspended for a violation of any terms or conditions of said permit.
- Ag Permits are valid for 4 months at a time. You may reapply if needed.
After reading all of the above information:
- Click on the link below to access the Cal Fire Permit Application
- Choose "APPLY FOR A PERMIT" from the top menu
- You must watch the short video
- Choose Agriculture (Cal Fire may schedule a visit to confirm)
- Fill out your information on the permit
- Print a copy for your records, and...
- Be safe
YOU MUST PRINT THE PERMIT AND HAVE IT AVAILABLE WHILE BURNING